He is commonly played as an initiator with a large semi-carry presence that quickly transitions into a support role later in the game. His fighting style demands that he gets up close and very personal. He can taunt enemies into targeting him and counters those who try to strike him with a sweeping Counter Helix that slashes all enemies at melee range. Axe has a tendency to draw opponents so deep in the fight that they do not have a chance to escape, each soul he draws infusing his own love of war; his ultimate, Culling Blade bolsters that talent with an attack that unconditionally kills.
 Recommended items
- Axe is especially dangerous early game with high starting statistics and the speed from Battle Hunger contributing to his ability to push up to the enemy tower relatively safely, even for a semi-carry.
- Berserker's Call provides the full armor bonus at level one. It is the primary factor in his ability to survive physical damage without good statistics.
- Resist using Culling Blade when not roaming. While Axe is powerful early game, he levels stat-wise fairly badly, and it is best to drop kills to a carry past the point when a team acquires their ultimate.
- Items such as the Vanguard, Hood of Defiance and the Shiva's Guard are essential as they help reduce the damage being dealt to Axe while he tanks and initiates a battle without a Blink Dagger. With a Blink Dagger, this aspect can be ignored when initiating to an extent.
- During the early phase of the game, a Stout Shield is all Axe needs to survive the lane. If possible, instead of fighting along with allied creeps, Axe can try to go and clash with the enemy creeps by himself with Counter Helix allowing him to take down unstacked creeps by himself.
- A more advanced technique used by players is to max out Battle Hunger by Level 7. This enables Axe to constantly deal dots (damage over time) in the lane, dealing crippling damage and blocking any potential to push or counterpush. This meshes well with Axe's capability to tank and keep the enemy at bay while stopping them from last hitting or denying creeps, allowing Battle Hunger deal its full damage.
- If Axe is going against two weak melee heroes in a lane without sufficient burst damage (such as Phantom Assassin or Spirit Breaker, etc.), do not hesitate to stand between them and their creeps. It allows for complete lane dominance as they cannot last hit and it denies them of experience and gold as Counter Helix hurts a lot early game.
- You can put "dota_health_per_vertical_marker 300" in the console without quotes to easily find the instakill hp thresholds for Axe's ultimate. Change the number according to Axe's ultimate. This sets each bar of health to the value you set, which means when they are under 1 bar of health, you can ultimate. This can also be applied to Dagon, but Magic Resist should be factored in.
- Axe's alternate/Fun name was "Mogul Kahnt Touch This", a reference to MC Hammer's famous song "U Can't Touch This".
- Axe, Disruptor, and Warlock are all related as they come from the Oglodi tribe.
- Two of Axe's deny phrases are a reference to Willy Wonka's infamous rage scene in the 1971 movie Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.
 Update history
- [Undocumented] Added additional animations for Axe when using Force Staff.
- [Undocumented] Added new Axe and Crystal Maiden responses.
- [Undocumented] Added a new teleport end animation for Axe.
- Fixed Culling Blade ending after death effects like Diabolic Edict and Epicenter.
- Added idle injured animations for Axe.
- Fixed Battle Hunger self buff sticking on Axe permanently if the spell was dodged by Puck's Phase Shift.
- [Undocumented] Added injured animations for Axe.
- [Undocumented] Added chase animations for Axe.
- Fixed Counter Helix doing the damage when the attack impacted rather than started.
- Fixed Berserker's Call to properly force affected invisible enemies to attack.
- Fixed the following ability interactions with Repel/Purge: Inner Vitality, Weave, Moonlight Shadow, Overload, Holy Persuasion, Warcry, Shadow Word, Focus Fire, Sukuchi, Berserker's Call, Chilling Touch.
- Fixed Battle Hunger against Roshan.
- Fixed Berserker's Call against Roshan.
- Added bloody footprints to Axe's Cull effect.
- Battle Hunger is no longer purgable.
- Culling Blade is no longer absorbable with Linkens' Sphere.
- Siege units don't trigger and don't take damage from Counter Helix.
- Fixed Cull to to work on magic immune units.
- Fixing Axe's counter helix to hit mechanical and use proficiency correctly.
- Puck: Fixed a bug with Phase Shift on autocast that could cause him/her/it to get stuck attacking Axe permanently.
- Axe - Berserker's Call now works on ethereal units.
- Changed how force attack targets work (Axe's Berserker's Call) so the force attack target persists even if the called unit cannot currently attack Axe.
- Fixed Counter Helix procing off of things it can't hurt
- Axe's counter helix will now hit magic immune targets.
- Temporarily disabled Axe, Necrolyte, and Sven.
- Temporarily disabled Axe, Necrolyte, and Sven.
- Axe's Berserker's Call now works properly with neutral creeps.
- Fixed Berserker's Call working on towers.
- Fixed Counter Helix triggering off of tower attacks
 Balance changelog
- Berserker's Call bonus armor increased from 30 to 40.
- Battle Hunger's slow decreased from 10% to 8%.
- Battle Hunger's movement bonus increased from 4% to 8% per affected enemy.
- Counter Helix's damage increased from 100/130/160/190 to 100/135/170/205.
- Aghanim's Scepter upgrade for Culling Blade's cooldown decreased from 10 to 6.
- Base Int from 14 to 18.
- Base HP regeneration from 1.25 to 2.
- Battle Hunger gives Axe a 4% bonus movement speed per target it affects.
- Berserker's Call's cooldown decreased from 14 to 10.
- Counter Helix's damage increased from 100/125/150/175 to 100/130/160/190.
- Counter Helix's proc cooldown decreased from 0.7/0.65/0.6/0.55 to 0.65/0.6/0.55/0.5 .
- If Culling Blade kills a unit, Axe unleashes a war cry, giving nearby allied units (600 AoE) a temporary movement bonus (25% for 6 seconds).
- Base HP regeneration from 1 to 1.25.
- Base HP regenration from .25 to 1.
- Battle Hunger's cooldown reduced from 25/20/15/10 to 20/15/10/5.
- Berserker's Call bonus armor from 5/10/15/20 to a constant 30.
 See also