- Starting Items: Broodmother is a capable pusher whose survivability is very outstanding during the early game. A great Broodmother will not need much of any health regeneration consumables, and may instead invest on either rushing some of her early game items or on more Clarities, though the former is more viable. This does not, however, mean that she shouldn't buy Tangoes or Healing Salves. If the player decides to rush for an early game item, then it most of the time depends on the course of action the player wants to take. When running a Ring of Basilius, an early Ring of Protection is a viable option essentially because Sage's Mask is offered in the side shop. Another choice, and probably the more effective one, is to buy a Soul Ring Recipe. The reason behind buying the recipe over its components is that both Ring of Regeneration and Sage's Mask are sold in the side shop and that the recipe is relatively cheap. If the player decides to take middle lane, however, he may run an early triple Branch to get an easy Magic Wand, or decide to just rush on the two earlier items as stated.
- Early Game: The item to grab first for Broodmother is definitely either Ring of Basilius or Soul Ring. Ring of Basilius provides an overall bonus armor to her spiderlings, and the mana regeneration helps her a lot as well. Soul Ring, however, gives Broodmother a supply of mana in an instant, and the health regeneration provided by her webs usually means that the risk she's taking isn't that big of a deal. Next on the list should be Boots of Speed. Broodmother, as a Hero that is most of the time invisible during laning phase, makes a great carrier for an item like a Magic Stick, and may be taken after or before boots.
- Core Items: As much as the item suggestion states, Soul Ring should be taken priority first even before the early game items. The bonus provided by Soul Ring is extremely helpful towards the early stages of the game. After taking her early game items, the next item to build should be Power Treads since the movement speed and attack speed increase really helps in both her farm and harass. The versatility of Treads also allows her to switch it to something to increase her mana pool or survivability, whichever one is more needed in the situation. Magic Wand is another optional decision, but like said before she is a great carrier for such an item.
- Luxury Items: The most important item to rush first for Broodmother after completing her core items is Black King Bar. Like any other hitter Hero, smart players will be focusing their crowd control and disables on to the Hero. The magic immunity provided will allow Broodmother to continually deal damage without dealing with the problem of being disabled during a fight. Monkey King Bar (MKB) and Butterfly (BF) are great items for any carry Hero to use, with MKB usually bought for the sake of dominating Heroes with evasion abilities, and BF if Broodmother herself needs the survivability. Heart of Tarrasque and Assault Cuirass are also very valuable items, but the survivability provided by BF is usually enough. Vladmir's Offering may also be a good item especially since it may be a reliable upgrade for Ring of Basilius, but this is generally discouraged because of the fact that the bonuses it provides are very minuscule. However, using Vladmir's Offering and Soul Ring, you can build a large army of spiderlings, spiderites and lane creeps which will tear down enemy towers extremely fast if enemy heroes are not blocking your path. This makes Broodmother very effective solo pusher. Radiance, although very powerful, is also discouraged on Broodmother. Multiple webs on lanes means that enemies cannot just guess where to throw their Dust of Appearance, and having Radiance on just means you'll be spotted fast. Broodmother is a very fragile Hero, especially if she can't go near enough to deal any serious damage.
- Unmentioned Items: An item like Orchid Malevolence is very devastating in the hands of a good Broodmother and can be taken before the MKB or BF. The silence helps out with dealing with Heroes that have escape skills, while the added amplified damage makes her a monster in 1 on 1 combat. Boots of Travel is also a good substitute as it provides much needed movement speed on a hitter Hero and it also allows Broodmother to push more lanes at a higher rate. The main problem with this, however, is that Broodmother will be spinning more webs and losing her old ones on the old lane. Broodmother is a great split pusher and because of that will draw attention from multiple heroes when she pushes towards the barracks. A quick Yasha will give her more movement speed to evade ganks and remain a threat for that lane. Then this can be made into a Manta Style which will giver her a way to remove dust and confuse the enemy to escape ganks and waste their crowd control spells.