Atropos the Bane Elemental, also known simply as Bane, is a strong ranged intelligence Hero, possessing dark abilities that can make him a good ganker and nuker. Bane is unique because his attributes are all equal, including its gain per level. Using his abilities, he can disable up to three separate targets at once. Since they are all single-targeted, he lacks area of effect presence and pushing power. Despite this, Bane is a dangerous foe to encounter as he can debuff his enemies, absorb their energies, and render them helpless. Bane's disables can be a great support for his allies, as well as a great way to kill his unfortunate foe.
 Recommended items
- Between levels 6-12 Bane is comparatively a very powerful hero, and assuming you maxed his Brain Sap (as you should under all circumstances) you will be able to solo most heroes by means of Fiend's Grip followed by Brain Sap. It is necessary to get kills during this phase of the game; as if Bane is not well-geared and leveled up later in the game, he will be relegated to a support unit.
- It is important for the player to judge when to change roles; as mentioned above, Bane should gank constantly in the middle of the game to gain a gold advantage and avoid getting shut down or subjugated to a conservative support role. A well-managed Bane can change the outcome of a team fight in the late game with effective use of items such as Necronomicon, Scythe of Vyse, and Aghanim's Scepter.
- New or unseasoned players have a tendency to attack targets under Nightmare. Before the game starts, make sure to warn them about it.
- Bane is not an initiator; despite having two disables, he is far too delicate to withstand the initial retaliation. Instead, he should hide until such time as his abilities become crucial when the team fight has ensued(preventing escapes, finishing off enemy heroes with Brain Sap, etc.).
- Avoid heroes with stuns, as they can interrupt Fiend's Grip. If you must deal with them, incapacitate them via Nightmare, a Scythe of Vyse, or Fiend's Grip itself. Picking Bane in a match against several heroes with disables is unwise. Black King Bar is typically an effective first major item to build on Bane if you need to help your team disable someone before they retaliate.
- If the enemy team lack area-of-effect stuns or interrupts, a Shadow Blade can make your ultimate harder to stop, since your opponents must first reveal you and then interrupt you. As with all similar abilities, you can activate invisibility without breaking your channel. While Shadow Blade is also effective for ganking solo heroes and escaping, you should still get Black King Bar instead if the enemy team have ranged AoE interrupts such as those possessed by Lina, Drow, Dark Seer, Death Prophet etcetera.
- The origin of the name "Atropos" comes from Greek mythology. One of the Moirai Sisters (commonly referred to as the Fates), Atropos was the sister in charge of cutting the "Life Thread" of those who were going to die. From Atropos, we also get the word "atrophy", which means "to waste away".
- The quote "Do Tinkers dream of electric sheepsticks?" is a reference to Philip K. Dick's book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.
- The theme and abilities of Bane Elemental are based off the game Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis. In this game, there is a Bane "element" which provides spells that are named Enfeeble, Brain Sap, Nightmare and Fiends Grip, with a similar theme of Bane in Dota 2.
 Update history
- Fixed base damage being too low.
- Fixed Fiend's Grip not ending if Kraken Shell dispels it.
- Fixed the following spells being castable on magic immune allies: Nightmare, Frost Armor, Nature's Guise, Holy Persuasion, Decrepify, Astral Imprisonment, Shadow Word and X Marks The Spot.
- Fixed being unable to nightmare non-hero units.
- [Undocumented] Updated the hero selection portrait.
- Fixed Nightmare dispelling on self damage (e.g. Rot).
- [Undocumented] Added injured idle animations.
- [Undocumented] Added a haste rune run animation for Bane
- Fixed Nightmare putting Juggernaut to sleep while Omnislashing.
- Fixed Fiend's Grip doing one tick less damage than it should have.
- Fixed cleave damage not waking up Nightmared units.
- Fixed the attack timing on when Nightmare gets transfered.
- Fixed Enfeeble working on Roshan.
- Fixed being unable to attack allied Nightmared heroes to transfer the debuff.
- Fixed Nightmare being able to transfer to towers and wards.
- [Undocumented] Added a spawn animation.
- Fixed players being able to play as Gyrocopter, Bane, Lanaya and Phantom Assassin.
- Fixed bots playing as Bane.
- Fixed Fiend's Grip not working properly on magic immune units.
 Balance changelog
- Enfeeble cooldown decreased from 12 to 10.
- Bane can now wake himself up from Nightmare with a subability.
- Fiend's Grip Aghanim's duration increased from 6 to 7.
- Enfeeble damage reduction increased from 25/50/75/100 to 30/60/90/120.
- Enfeeble can no longer be dispelled (By Manta, BKB or any other dispel).
- Movement speed increased from 305 to 315.
- Base Str/Agi/Int increased from 18/18/18 to 22/22/22.
- Enfeeble manacost rescaled from 125 to 95/105/115/125.
- Brain Sap cooldown decreased from 16 to 14.
- Fiend's Grip now gives vision of the target.
- Enfeeble now reduces attack damage by a constant amount:
- Previous: Reduces attack damage by 40/60/80/100% of base damage. 15 second cooldown.
- Current: Reduces total attack damage by 25/50/75/100. 12 second cooldown.
- Fiend's Grip Scepter duration from 5 to 6 seconds.
- Reduced Fiend's Grip cooldown from 120 to 100.
 See also