Lyralei the Windrunner is a ranged intelligence hero that uses her powerful abilities in conjunction with her physical attack to take down enemies. Despite being an intelligence Hero, Windrunner's playstyle resembles an agility Hero, due in large part to her skillset. Windrunner is most often played as an offlane solo due to her escape and long range harass and farm capability, however she is quite a versatile hero and can be fielded as a midlaner, roamer, lane support, or even carry if the game calls for it. She is famous for her immense utility and versatility, and as such is one of the most common picks of experienced players.
 Recommended Items
Getting Boots will allow Windrunner to position her Shackleshot/Powershot better, allowing for an easier gank. Force Staff is very efficient and versatile for positioning a Shackleshot, allowing you to force a unit in front of a tree, force a creep/unit in front of another unit, or force yourself into position.
Late game a Scythe of Vyse/Orchid Malevolence will give Windrunner an extra disable, which in combination with a good shackle will allow Windrunner to be able to isolate important targets, allowing your teammates to kill them.
Although Focus Fire strips your physical attack of orb effects; crit and bash are retained and as such a Monkey King Bar and Daedalus makes Windrunner extremely dangerous; allowing her to pummel an enemy to death while ministunning them constantly. This build should only be attempted if you have a very successful early game, or if you are being relied upon to carry.
- If you must solo a lane, take Windrun before anything else. This will give you a reliable escape if you are being ganked early.
- Power Shot should always be maxed before anything else, as it is a very powerful nuke early-game. One point in Shackle Shot and Windrun are usually sufficient. Keep in mind Power Shot damages invisible heroes, so if you know where they are do not hesitate to use it. Late-game Power Shot can be used in the same way as Vengeful Spirit's Wave of Terror; as an exploratory long-range spell.
- Power Shot claims to do reduced damage if released early, but releasing it at 60% or more inflicts full damage.
- Shackle Shot's ministun is extremely useful for interrupting channelled spells, such as Bane's and Pudge's ultimates.
- Early-game, unless circumstances are unusual, always save enough mana to Windrun when you are in dangerous territory.
- Not leveling up Focus Fire until 10 and 11 allows you to max your other skills faster; besides which unless you build into it (see below) Focus Fire is not very useful outside of dealing siege damage.
- Despite being an escape mechanism, Windrun is potentially a very powerful "tanking" spell, as it allows total damage immunity to heroes reliant on their physical attack, such as Ursa and Drow Ranger.
- Building an Aghanim's Scepter with a powerful attack modifier can shift Windrunner's role from supportive chaser/nuker to that of a semi-carry; as it will allow her to scale. However, building a scepter without an attack modifier is not very useful, and Windrunner can function very well with attack modifiers even without building a scepter. Build an attack modifier first, then choose whether or not to build scepter.
- Very unusually for a non-carry intelligence hero, Windrunner's basic attack becomes her primary source of damage as the game progresses, owing to her largely utilitarian skillset. If the role of support is already being covered, focusing on items that empower her basic attack is a good idea.
- In DotA, Windrunner's was known as Alleria. Alleria Windrunner is a character from the Warcraft universe.
- Windrunner's current name, Lyralei, is a partial anagram of Alleria (one of the A's was replaced with the Y).
 Update history
- Fixed several "missing lane" line bugs for Puck, Mirana, Meepo, Lina, Keeper, Shadow Demon, and Windrunner.
- Updated vision values on these abilities: Unstable Concoction, Phantasm, Waveform, Storm Hammer, Mirror Image, Spirit Lance, Requiem of Souls, Spectral Dagger, Venomous Gale, Earthbind, Dream Coil, Shackleshot, Wall of Replica, Flamebreak, Deafening Blast, Ghost Ship.
- [Undocumented] Updated Windrunner hero icon to reflect her texture changes.
- Windrunner polished textures and updated hero selection portrait.
- Updated Aghanim's Scepter tooltips for Beastmaster, Necrolyte, Queen of Pain, Warlock, and Windrunner.
- [Undocumented] Updated the hero selection portrait.
- Fixed being able to Shackleshot onto Ancients/Roshan.
- Updated Windrunner's hero selection portrait.
- Fixed Healing Ward and Windrunner auras' sticky durations to 2.5 seconds.
- Fixed Powershot killing Couriers.
- Fixed Windrunner not playing her Focus Fire run animation.
- Fixed the following ability interactions with Repel/Purge: Inner Vitality, Weave, Moonlight Shadow, Overload, Holy Persuasion, Warcry, Shadow Word, Focus Fire, Sukuchi, Berserker's Call, Chilling Touch.
- Fixed Windrunner's bowstring disappearing when she died.
- Fixed Shackleshot being dodgeable.
- Powershot now properly gives 3.34 seconds of vision at its end location.
- Fixed enemy team being able to hear Windrunner's charge sound effect.
- Fixed Shackleshot speed.
- Fixed Shackleshot projectile hit not providing vision.
- Fixed Focus Fire interaction with magic immunity.
- Added projectile vision to Windrunner's Powershot and Lich's Chain Frost.
- Added new in-progress models for Lina, Drow, Windrunner.
- Fixed Focus Fire not working versus magic immune.
- Fixed Powershot requiring too much time to read full damage.
- Changed Windrunner's Shackleshot to prioritize direction over distance when finding an attach target. Also better tracks the direction of the projectile.
- Fixed Powershot tree destruction aoe being twice as big as it should.
- Fixed cases where creating a linear projectile directly on yourself would cause it to get stuck. This includes fixes to Fissure, Ghost Ship, Dragon Slave, Arrow, Impale, Waveform, Illusory Orb, Meat Hook, Burrowstrike, Wave of Terror, and Power Shot.
- Fixed Windrunner's Shackleshot's target-gather angle, and it will now select the closest valid attach target.
- Fixed Windrunner not firing off an arrow when she releases Powershot before the channel is completed.
 Balance changelog
- Shackleshot cooldown increased from 10 to 12 seconds.
 See also