Kunkka the Admiral is a versatile melee Strength hero built with an arsenal of powerful area-of-effect spells. Two of his active spells are nukes that have long reaction time, but can disable and disrupt the enemies' position. He is mostly played as a carry or an initiator or even a spell nuker. He is known for his Tidebringer sword, which magically gives him the ability to cleave a large area around him on his attack with heavy potential damage on his next attack, which refreshes at a given period of time. Torrent calls upon the element of water to rise and burst out, dealing damage, disabling them up high, and slowing them on impact. There's a delay on this skill before it activates, so Kunkka must be wise in using this ability. X Marks the Spot targets any hero or Admiral himself to be marked on their current position, and after a few seconds delay, instantly returns to the marked spot. Useful in setting up tricky spells, escape prevention, or even saving allies, X Marks the Spot makes the Admiral a great battle strategist. His ultimate lets him summon a Ghost Ship, which travels on ground, until it crashes a set distance away, stunning and damaging enemy armies on that location. The Ghost Ship also bolsters allies with Kunkka's Rum, granting them bonus movement speed and numbness to damage. Ghost Ship is difficult to land, due to the fixed distance of its cast point and the crash site of the ship. However, a good Ghost Ship absolutely cripples an enemy team. Capable of inflicting high burst damage with his spells, controlling their position while able to survive the mayhem when his spells are used properly, Kunkka is a mighty offensive team fighter, built with strong physical and magical damage output, and indeed, turn the tide of a battle.
 Recommended items
- Tidebringer is your signature ability, and should usually be trained early and maxed out first. Notable exceptions would be when having a stun to chain would be advantageous for early kills or you need a mechanism to prevent escape heroes from running away.
- Use Torrent to initiate battles and disable opponents.
- Try to get raw damage to maximize your Tidebringer damage.
- X Marks the Spot works well with Torrent to ensure you a hit.
- Ghost Ship delays half of the damage dealt to allies, making it great for short team battles.
- Train Torrent first if you're going for First Blood, otherwise, train Tidebringer.
- Try dual laning with heroes such as Crystal Maiden, Shadow Demon, Bane, or Vengeful Spirit. Their disables will help you land your Torrents.
- Use a high leveled X Marks the Spot on enemies who are trying to flee using a Town Portal Scroll and they will be brought back to the X no matter how far they've gone!
- The classical combo should be: Torrent and then Ghost Ship, but you can add X Marks the Spot before them if you are targeting a single unit.
- During team fights, either initiate with your combo when the enemies get clumped together, or wait until the battle starts and use it when they get clumped.
- You can use X Marks the Spot and a scroll of teleportation to go back to your base, refill your bottle, and go back to your previous location.
- Ghost Ship will always appear a specific distance behind Kunkka and end a specific distance from Kunkka(The only exception being if Kunkka is facing away from the edge of the map, but the ship will still travel the fixed distance infront of him). The distance at which the boat appears and hits can be seen by mousing over the ability and noting the radius circle behind and infront of Kunkka. Practising memorising the distance the ship travels in a practise game with cheats and wtf mode on can go a long way to pulling this wonderful ultimate off successfully.
- Another method to pulling off successful ultimates is to always set the target point for Ghost Ship to anywhere out of Kunkka's range. That way the end point and radius circle will always be placed where you clicked the target.
- Kunkka's official alternate/fun names were "Daelin Proudmoore", "CoCo", and "Captain Obvious". Daelin Proudmoore was a campaign boss in Warcraft III: Frozen Throne; his hero model is borrowed by Kunkka in DotA.
- Kunkka is also the name (or online handle) of the artist who made numerous pieces of loading screen art for DotA. The Admiral hero was given his name as a tribute to his work.
- In his DotA biography, it is stated that some people called him "Jack Sparrow," but it was never seen as his name in-game. Jack Sparrow is the name of the main character in the Pirates of the Carribean movie franchise.
- The line "Sweetly sweetly blew the breeze, on me alone it blew." comes from Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem, " The Rime of the Ancient Mariner".
 Update history
- Fixed some ability Backswing timing issues ( Kunkka, Clockwerk, Timbersaw, Meepo, Pudge, Spirit Breaker, Sand King, Riki, Nyx Assassin, Lion, Pugna, Shadow Demon, Batrider).
- Updated vision values on these abilities: Unstable Concoction, Phantasm, Waveform, Storm Hammer, Mirror Image, Spirit Lance, Requiem of Souls, Spectral Dagger, Venomous Gale, Earthbind, Dream Coil, Shackleshot, Wall of Replica, Flamebreak, Deafening Blast, Ghost Ship.
- Fixed Ghost Ship allied debuff dealing all the damage immediately when then rum wears off, rather than over the following 8 seconds.
- Fixed the following spells being castable on magic immune allies: Nightmare, Frost Armor, Nature's Guise, Holy Persuasion, Decrepify, Astral Imprisonment, Shadow Word and X Marks the Spot.
- Fixed X Marks the Spot being purged by Tornado/Diffusal.
- Fixed Tidebringer working against wards.
- Fixed X Marks the Spot teleporting you back if you buyback while the spell is still active.
- Added missing Flail and Stun animations for Kunkka.
- Fixed Torrent slow not lasting as long as it should.
- Fixed X Marks the Spot ignoring Linken's Sphere
- Fixed X Marks the Spot vision revealer not working.
- Fixed Ghost Ship not having vision.
- Fixed Ghost Ship's allied buff not reducing spell damage.
- Enabled Kunkka and Bloodseeker.
- Fixed Kunkka not playing Tidebringer's animation/effects correctly.
- Damage from Tidebringer should show up in the UI now.
- Fixed Kunkka's Return to have a cast time.
- Disabled Blink Dagger for Vengeful Spirit and Pudge. Disabled Quelling Blade for Kunkka.
- Fixed Tidebringer sound playing on denies.
- Fixed Kunkka's Ghost Ship not actually making the ship if cast near the edge of the world and into the world.
- Added more info to tooltips of Drow Ranger's Silence, Death Prophet's Silence, and Kunkka's Ghost Ship.
- Fixed Kunkka's Ghost Ship's path to correctly be centered.
- Fixed Torrent not giving vision over the area it hits.
- Hooked up Kunkka's new X Marks the Spot sound.
- Fixed cases where creating a linear projectile directly on yourself would cause it to get stuck. This includes fixes to Fissure, Ghost Ship, Dragon Slave, Sacred Arrow, Impale, Waveform, Illusory Orb, Meat Hook, Burrowstrike, Wave of Terror, and Powershot.
- Fixed Tidebringer on towers.
- Fixed X Marks the Spot disappearing if the target went into FoW.
- Made Tidebringer's active effect more majestic.
- Added constant ambient glow to Kunkka's Tidebringer Sword.
 Balance changelog
- Tidebringer level 4 AoE increased from 500 to 600.
- Base strength increased from 21 to 24.
- Ghost Ship
- Cooldown decreased from 90/80/70 to 60/50/40.
- Impact AoE increased from 400 to 425.
- Torrent AoE increased from 200 to 215.
- X Marks the Spot cooldown decreased from 20 to 16 seconds.
- Ghost Ship stun duration increased from 1.2 to 1.4.
- Strength growth increased from 2.7 to 3.0.
- Torrent slow increased from 30% to 35%.
- Tidebringer cleave AoE improved from 380/420/460/500 to 500.
- X Marks the Spot cooldown decreased from 30 to 20 seconds.
- Ghost Ship's Kunkka's Rum duration increased from 5/6/7 to 8.
- Base Intelligence increased from 16 to 18.
- Ghost Ship cooldown rescaled from 90 to 90/80/70.
 See also