Medusa the Gorgon is a ranged agility Hero. Highly item-dependent, she acts as a carry who can potentially strike down entire teams at once while protected by tank-like survivability. Split Shot allows her attacks to hit multiple targets, greatly increasing the potency of damage-granting items. Mystic Snake grants Medusa some presence in the lane and skirmishes, and its mana stealing refunds part of the cost to boot, making it an excellent farming and harrassing tool. Mana Shield protects her from the opening damage of teamfights, and if supplemented with items makes killing Medusa a fatally time-consuming process. Stone Gaze acts as a fantastic defensive mechanism against ganks and initiations alike, with crippling effects on all who dare face the Gorgon.
 Recommended items
|This article or section may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Dota 2 Wiki's quality standards.
You can help. The discussion page may contain suggestions.
Reason given: Recommended items explanations must not be opinionated or contain suggestions. Please refer to the style guide for more information.
Linken's Sphere provides spell block, decent stats for the cost. An extension from an early perseverance, it increases Medusa's durability as well as giving some right-click power.
Manta Style is a more offensive option as the high Agility bonus directly increases Medusa's DPS. Mirror Image's illusions can also inherit her Split Shot if it is toggled on beforehand, which can deal great damage in team fights if left alive.
Butterfly's evasion also applies to illusions and synergizes with Mana Shield (which ignores armor from other durability options) while providing strong DPS to work with Split Shot.
Though highly expensive, Eye of Skadi exemplifies Medusa's power as a carry-tank hybrid. The healthpool increase is substantial, but higher mana also benefits survivability through Mana Shield. Combined with Frost Attack's kiting and chasing potential, fighting Medusa becomes a prolonged battle she is likely to win.
Although situational, Medusa's good survivability plus the Split Shot skill makes her an excellent Divine Rapier carrier though care has to be taken having this item.
Magic Wand is another good early game item that gives some stats that Medusa needs in early stages plus the burst heal charges is helpful in critical conditions.
Boots of Travel give Medusa the Teleport ability which she needs for farming, counter-pushing and defending the base with ease. Together with Yasha's bonus, Medusa's movespeed will be fast enough to escape ganks.
Satanic is an excellent item in combo with the Divine Rapier and other damage-increasing items in terms of standing very long in team fights due to lifesteal. If Medusa's health drops in critical level and when there is no mana to sustain Mana Shield, activating Satanic can give you full health in seconds buying more time to stand in skirmishes.
Whenever you have enemies with evasion, Monkey King Bar can be very helpful as it provides Mini-Bash, decent damage output and the ability not to miss on attacks which also applies to illusions and the secondary targets of Split Shot.
- Mystic Snake should be maxed first as it is Medusa's only nuke and primary farming tool.
- Try to aim Mystic Snakes to bounce off enemy creeps before hitting heroes to maximize their effects.
- On a standard lane creep wave of 3 melees and 1 ranged, a level 4 Mystic Snake that bounces on the melees first will instantly kill the ranged creep on contact.
- As more creeps are added to the waves, a few attacks with Split Shot active should be used before casting Mystic Snake to ensure lasthits.
- Split Shot and Mana Shield are both highly item-dependant abilities. Consider spending pre-level 6 points in Attribute Bonus for a small but more tangible boost in power.
- By activating Split Shot before you use Manta Style or Illusion rune, the illusions will gain the Split Shot ability which is a very good boost in terms of increasing your DPS.
- Be wary about leaving Mana Shield active in the early game without a high manapool or some mana regen items. Heavy damage may leave you unable to cast Stone Gaze, which can turn the tides of a gank or teamfight when used correctly.
- When pushing, activate Split Shot when attacking towers to whittle down an incoming creep wave.
- Items built from Ultimate Orb and Perseverance are good for Medusa, such as Linken's Sphere and Manta Style. The bonus stats and regen make Medusa very tanky with Mana Shield active.
- You should always have a Town Portal Scroll in order to escape incoming ganks and as well as for defending your base. It is especially useful for countering engagements and tower dives, as Stone Gaze severely punishes teams who commit to a fight.
 Update History
- Fixed Mystic Snake not jumping to magic immune units.
- Fixed an intermittent crash on some particle effects like Stone Gaze.
- Enabled Medusa in Captain's Mode for Latest Version (will be enabled in Tournament Version the following week).
- Fixed Split Shot hitting Nightmared units.
- Fixed Mana Shield not blocking damage from Death Ward, Plague Ward, Mass Serpent Wards and Wildwing's Tornado.
- Mystic Snake now returns to restore you when it is blocked by Linken's Sphere.
 Balance changelog
- Stone Gaze Reworked:
- Any unit facing Medusa will have its attack, movement and turn rate reduced by 50% until the end of the spell. If you accumulate 2 seconds time (in total) facing Medusa, you will turn to stone.
- Stoned units are disabled, have 100% magic resistance and take extra damage from physical attacks.
- View Angle Spread: 85
- Gaze Duration: 6 seconds
- Stone Duration: 3 seconds
- Bonus Physical Damage: 30/40/50%
- AoE: 1000
- Cooldown: 90
- Manacost: 200
- Note: Kills illusions instead of petrifying them.
- Removed from Captain's Mode.
- Stone Gaze cooldown reduced from 140/110/80 to 140/100/60.
- Mana Shield absorption rate increased from 0.75/1.25/1.5/2 to 0.75/1.25/1.75/2.25.
- Mystic Snake damage bonus per jump increased from 20% to 25%.
- Split Shot damage per arrow increased from 45/55/65/75% to 50/60/70/80%.
- Split Shot now shoots 5 arrows instead of 4.
- Toggle cooldown on Mana Shield removed.
- Stone Gaze rebalanced:
- No longer changes the scale of the purge per level (was negligible), now recovers at a medium rate always
- Instead of checking to stone units over the first 0.6 seconds, it checks over the full 5 seconds.
- Units affected by the Stone Gaze cannot get reaffected during the application period
- Illusion & Summoned unit damage from 600/800/1000 to 500/1000/1500
- Manacost from 100/50/0 to 200/100/0
- Cooldown from 100 to 140/110/80
- Movement speed decreased from 300 to 290.
- Strength gain decreased from 1.85 to 1.65.
- Intelligence per level reduced from 2.25 to 1.85.
- Stone Gaze cooldown increased from 35 to 100 seconds.
- Lowered Stone Gaze cooldown (70 to 35 seconds).
- Minor improvements to Mystic Snake speed , cast range and cooldown.
- Improved Mystic Snake's damage from 60/100/140/180 to 80/120/160/200.
 Replaced Abilities
 See Also