Balanar the Night Stalker is a unique melee Strength hero in that his skills are affected by the time of day during the game. During daytime, he is weaker than a hero of an equal level, especially in the early game. But once the sun goes down, Balanar's real power is unleashed, becoming the beast known as the Night Stalker. His Void damages and slows his target to a crawl as he pursues them. Crippling Fear prevents his enemy from attacking Balanar, silencing them and causing their attacks to miss, making him an effective counter against spellcasters and physical attackers. Hunter in the Night is what defines the Night Stalker. He becomes a brutal and merciless hunter during the night, with supernatural attack speed and movement speed, which allows Balanar to chase and savagely attack his victim. Darkness creates a period of darkness for the Night Stalker to enjoy and use his abilities to the fullest. Though the Night Stalker is feeble and isn't much of a danger in daytime, it's too late when the light of the day begins to fade. When the night beckons, the Night Stalker rises. Poor souls would likely never survive his horror in the dark fields and would never see daylight again.
 Recommended items
|This article or section may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Dota 2 Wiki's quality standards.
You can help. The discussion page may contain suggestions.
Reason given: Please refer to the style guide.
- Void is the best skill to max early, as the damage increase and slow allow you to use it to kill your desired target.
- Crippling Fear is most effective during the night. Use it when you are ganking during the night time. An enemy affected by Crippling Fear will be silenced and blinded, making the ability a powerful debuff on your target.
- Balanar has one of the highest overall defense in the game with a starting armor of 5, one of the highest Strength in the game, and the third highest Agility among Strength heroes. Balanar is a powerful semi-carry with great durability and an amazing skillset.
- Hunter in the Night empowers his attack speed and movement speed superbly during the night, making him the best ganker during the earliest parts of the game.
- Night Stalker will greatly benefit from being on the same team as a Luna. Her Lunar Blessing will give her bonus damage as well as full night vision (although Balanar already has the highest night sight range in the game) and her Eclipse will turn the time of the day to night for 10 seconds. This 10 seconds is often significant enough for the Night Stalker to set in and go for the kill.
- Using Darkness during night time will prolong the duration of the night, allowing Night Stalker to ultimately change the time to his favor.
- During the night, most heroes have below average vision, rendering them to be ineffective on chases and gives enemies a chance to hide the blind spot. Night Stalker, however, is at home in this time and has full vision, allowing him to effectively chase without getting obscured on his sight. With Aghanim's Scepter, he gains full unobstructed vision, allowing to see through trees, higher terrains, and even spy at Roshan in his base.
- Some people call him "The Legal Map Hack" after getting Aghanim's Scepter due to the unobstructed vision at night.
- Night Stalker is one of the few heroes to have 1800 night vision instead of the usual 800. However, he is the only hero with less than 1800 daytime vision.
- From patch 6.78 onwards, Batrider has 1400 sight range during day time, meaning that Night Stalker is no longer the sole hero with less than 1800 day vision.
 Update history
- Updated Night Stalker Darkness sound and made it global for teammates.
- Added Night Stalker Darkness graphic to day/night clock.
- [Undocumented] Added new attack sounds for Night Stalker.
- [Undocumented] Added spawn animations for Earthshaker, Night Stalker, Shadow Demon, Tidehunter, Tinker.
- [Undocumented] Added teleport start and end animations for Earthshaker, Pudge, Night Stalker, Shadow Demon, Tidehunter, Tinker.
- [Undocumented] Added Haste Rune Run animations for Night Stalker and Pudge.
- [Undocumented] Added the following animations to Night Stalker: Injured Run, Injured Idle, Victory and Defeat.
- Added duration buff for Darkness.
- Fixed Hunter in the Night working on Illusions.
- Updated suggested item build.
- Hooked up Nightstalker's day->night->day transition animations.
- Fixed his model going into reference pose if the time of day transitioned while he was dead.
- Added Night Stalker VO.
- Fixed Night Stalker's Void not mini-stunning on apply.
- Fixed Night Stalker's Crippling Fear doing 0 damage on apply and thus disabling blink dagger.
- Enabled Night Stalker (model and effects work-in-progress).
 Balance changelog
- Hunter in the Night attack speed rescaled from 30/45/60/75 to 45/55/65/75.
- Hunter in the Night
- Movement bonus rescaled from 15/20/30/35 to 20/25/30/35%.
- Attack speed bonus rescaled from 20/35/55/75 to 30/45/60/75.
- Base damage increased by 10.
- Crippling Fear's miss chance from 10/20/30/40% to 40%.
- Void now slows for 2 seconds during daytime.
- Added Nightstalker to Aghanim's Scepter. Gives unobstructed vision at night.
 See also