Mortred the Phantom Assassin is a melee agility Hero fitting the role of hard carry. Mortred is best-known, and infamous for, her ability to inflict staggering damage with single strikes. Her abilities synergise supremely well with each other, rendering her an extremely formidable foe once she has acquired the items she requires. She is a very farm-dependent melee Hero, but she farms creeps with much more ease than many of her fellow carries, using her Stifling Dagger for last hitting. Besides eliminating the weakness most melee Heroes have in their farming, it also saves her from expending gold on important melee carry items like Quelling Blade. Her second ability, Phantom Strike, acts as both her escape and initiate, while Blur gives her an edge against other Heroes that depend on their physical attacks by evading them; giving her partial damage immunity to many carries. Her ultimate however is what connects Mortred with four-digit integers.
 Recommended items
- Stifling Dagger has multiple uses. It should generally be the first skill maxed, as it allows you to last hit creeps even if they are far from you and later on allows you to slow enemies at a great range.
- Avoid using Stifling Dagger as a harass tool in the laning phase before level 5, as you'll be losing a good amount of CS and it won't deal enough damage to ward off your enemy. However, you should use it on enemy heroes when they back up and attempt to use non-combat items such as Clarity and Healing Salve.
- Depending on your team's strategy, Phantom Strike can be taken at level 1 as the increased DPS combined with allied disables can secure First Blood.
- Phantom Strike can target allies and enemies. Jumping to a friendly unit can be useful if Mortred needs to escape.
- Leveling Blur is usually not recommended early on. However, a single point can be very helpful if your lane opponents are primarily harassing you with basic attacks, or orb-walking.
- There is a temptation among unseasoned players to focus on the maximisation of attack damage, neglecting attack speed. However, focusing on attack speed generally produces more favourable results; her critical damage is gigantic even with low attack damage and high attack speed means she is much more likely to kill her target, as opposed to relying on huge-but-infrequent criticals. In essence, the faster her attack speed; the less likely you will fail to kill a target because of lack of luck; and three Coups de Graces with average base attack are much stronger than a single one with high base attack.
- Be very wary of enemies using Blade Mail, as Mortred's damage output is many times greater than her health pool.
- Mortred is derived from Mordred, a character in the Arthurian legend who betrayed and fought King Arthur at the Battle of Camalann.
- "Coup de grâce" is a French term (that bled into English) which literally means "blow of mercy", and refers to the killing blow of a wounded person or animal, friendly or not, to end their suffering.
- Phantom Assassin, along with Troll Warlord, has the lowest intelligence growth in the game (+1 per level).
 Update history
- Pseudo Random chances are now enabled for these abilities:
- [Undocumented] Updated Phantom Assassin's minimap icon to reflect her updated model.
- Added Chaos Knight, Phantom Assassin and Gyrocopter to Captain's Mode
- Fixed Phantom Strike. landing position.
- Fixed Coup de Grace visual effect to play only when the critical strike attack lands.
- Fixed Coup de Grace working on denies and wards.
- Fixed Phantom Strike facing direction after landing.
- Fixed Blur showing hero name on minimap when it should be hidden.
- Fixed Blink Strike not being blocked by Linken's Sphere.
- Phantom Strike now shows you a buff icon while you are attacking fast.
- Fixed Stifling Dagger being dodgeable.
- Fixed Phantom Strike visual and sound effect sometimes playing on targets it can't hit.
- Fixed Phantom Strike attacks sometimes being delayed.
- [Undocumented] Updated Phantom Assassin's hero icon to reflect her texture changes.
- Fixed players being able to play as Gyrocopter, Bane, Lanaya and Phantom Assassin.
 Balance changelog
- Blur level 4 evasion increased from 35% to 40%.
- Coup de Grace critical strike multiplier increased from 2.5/3.25/4 to 2.5/3.5/4.5.
- Phantom Strike cast range increased from 700/800/900/1000 to 1000.
- Phantom Strike cooldown rescaled from 20/15/10/5 to 14/11/8/5.
- Stifling Dagger damage increased from 40/80/120/160 to 50/100/150/200.
- Note: Your hero is no longer always fully faded out. It now only gains partial transparency when the new secondary effect below is active. This still retains the permanent 20/25/30/35% evasion.
- Passively blurs your hero when near enemy heroes, causing your model to fade out partially and become hidden on the minimap to enemy player.
- Distance: 1600
- Has a 1.5 second delay when adding or removing the effect.
- Blur evasion increased from 15/20/25/30% to 20/25/30/35%.
- Base Strength increased from 17 to 20.
- Strength growth decreased from 2.05 to 1.85.
- Phantom Strike cooldown from 30/20/10/5 to 20/15/10/5.
- Stifling Dagger cooldown reduced from 10 to 8 seconds.
- Tweaked Blur evasion chance per level.
- Blur visual effect is now applied only to enemies.
- Improved Stifling Dagger.
- Replaced Phantom Assassin's Shadow Strike with a different similar ability.
- Lowered Phantom Assassin's cast animation time.
 See also