Puck the Faerie Dragon is a highly mobile ranged intelligence hero best known for being an extremely unpredictable and slippery target. Puck is commonly played as an initiator and ganker, with spells that are equally useful for super-aggressive maneuvers as well as daring escapes. Expert use of Puck's abilities will let you appear out of nowhere, suddenly leave your enemies crippled and disadvantaged, and get away in the blink of an eye - but mess up your timing or misjudge the situation, and there is little left to save this fragile Hero from death.
 Recommended items
|This article or section may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Dota 2 Wiki's quality standards.
You can help. The discussion page may contain suggestions.
Reason given: Recommended items explanations must not be opinionated or contain suggestions. Please refer to the style guide for more information.
- Puck needs a solo lane in order to capitalize on its powerful abilities, and can easily play alone even against a dual lane because of Ethereal Jaunt and Illusory Orb.
- Puck should generally go mid, as Puck is almost impossible to win a lane against and as such will heavily malign the enemy's midgame carry/ganker; as well as the easy access to the sidelanes for ganking that mid grants. Puck also burns mana very quickly and as such will require a bottle and runes to sustain its lane.
- When escaping from danger, always Phase Shift after you use Illusory Orb. This way, you can sit invulnerable and wait for the orb to travel before you slip away.
- The Blink Dagger is the perfect item to get on Puck, as it helps with initiating and escaping in addition to the many escape methods that Puck has.
- With a Level 4 Phase Shift and Blink Dagger, Puck can escape almost any dangerous situation with quick hands or queuing up spells. It is important to note, however, that Puck must still turn to cast abilities while phase shifted. Blinking out, for instance, can be very difficult if you wish to escape in the opposite direction, particularly if damage over time effects are active.
- Puck's turn speed is among the lowest of all heroes.
- Phase Shift can even be used to avoid physical effects like Pudge's Hook.
- An effective Puck player uses tricks and mind games on opponents. One such example is casting Illusory Orb, running in a different direction to where you cast it, then teleporting to it.
- Mix Puck with a hero like Chen and you can use an Illusory Orb, then have Chen teleport you back to base to refill your bottle without leaving lane. Use Ethereal Jaunt to the orb before it disappears.
- Should you have a Blink Dagger, the ideal initiation combo is to blink in a group of enemies, Waning Rift, Dream Coil, shoot an Illusory Orb through as many enemies as possible but in a safe direction, Phase Shift, then use Ethereal Jaunt to teleport to the Orb. The silence from Waning Rift is more than long enough to execute this combination.
- Waning Rift is your most important skill in late-game, as its silence is a huge boon to your team.
- Puck's alternate name was Kupu-Kupu, which means "butterfly" in the Indonesian language.
- Puck was introduced in v6.48 as result of a hero creation contest for the Warcraft III: Frozen Throne fairy dragon model held by the dota-allstars.com forums.
- Puck pays homage to a character of the same name from Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream; aside for Puck's playful attitude, its line "A midsummer nightmare" is also an allusion to the play.
 Update history
- Fixed several "missing lane" line bugs for Puck, Mirana, Meepo, Lina, Keeper, Shadow Demon, and Windrunner.
- Updated vision values on these abilities: Unstable Concoction, Phantasm, Waveform, Storm Hammer, Mirror Image, Spirit Lance, Requiem of Souls, Spectral Dagger, Venomous Gale, Earthbind, Dream Coil, Shackleshot, Wall of Replica, Flamebreak, Deafening Blast, Ghost Ship.
- Fixed Phase Shift proccing Essence Aura.
- Fixed being able to cast Phase Shift while rooted.
- Fixed attack range.
- Fixed channel time on level 4 Phase Shift.
- Fixed Ethereal Jaunt not dodging projectiles properly.
- [Undocumented]Updated Puck's textures.
- Fixed Phase Shift sometimes not dodging incoming attack projectiles.
- Fixed some types of spells (like EMP) from causing damage when already Phase Shifted.
- Fixed Ethereal Jaunt from triggering Last Word/Magic Stick.
- Fixed Phase Shift autocasting if you were already stunned before.
- Fixed being able to move in certain situations while auto-casting Phase Shift.
- Fixed a bug with Phase Shift that could let you use it an infinite number of times.
- Fixed endless Phase Shift during Chronosphere.
- Changed legacy keys for the following heroes: Drow Ult from P to M, Puck secondary 1 from D to E, Dazzles Ult from E to W, Enchantress ability1 from P to N.
- Illusory Orb now grants 800/800 flying vision which persists for 3.34 seconds.
- Illusory Orb no longer uses a frontal cone.
- Dream Coil no longer affects illusions.
- Phase Shift is now a channeled ability, so it displays a channel bar and allows actions to be queued after it.
- Fixed a bug with Phase Shift on autocast that could cause him/her/it to get stuck attacking Axe permanently.
- Fixed Phase Shift interaction with various spells.
- Fixed minimap icon disappearing when he used Phase Shift.
- Dream Coil will no longer do its initial attachment to invisible units.
- Fixed Phase Shift avoiding all damag while silenced if set to autocast.
- Fixed Phase Shift autocast not interrupting other actions (ie. continuing to move while shifted).
- Fixed a few bugs with Dream Coil interaction with magic immune.
- Fixed Dream Coil stunning invulnerable units (waveform, omnislash, etc).
- Added a modifier to indicate that you are tethered by Puck's Dream Coil.
- Fixed Puck's autocast Phase Shift not working correctly (still doesn't work correctly with disables).
- Fixed cases where creating a linear projectile directly on yourself would cause it to get stuck. This includes fixes to Fissure, Ghost Ship, Dragon Slave, Arrow, Impale, Waveform, Illusory Orb, Meat Hook, Burrowstrike, Wave of Terror, and Power Shot.
- Fixed abilities not updating their buttons when changing states. (ie. Puck's Ethereal Jaunt).
 Balance changelog
- Illusory Orb cooldown decreased from 13 to 12
- Base Damage increased by 5.
- Dream Coil duration increased from 5 to 6 (Aghanim's from 7 to 8).
- Illusory Orb AoE increased from 200 to 225.
- Waning Rift damage increased from 60/120/180/240 to 70/140/210/280.
- Ethereal Jaunt now dodges projectiles.
- Phase Shift autocast removed.
- Phase Shift manacost removed.
- Phase Shift level 4 duration increased from 3 to 3.25 seconds.
- Aghanim Upgraded Dream Coil no longer increases the manacost from the base spell.
- Base damage increased by 4.
- Waning Rift silence duration rebalanced from 0.1/1/2/3 to 0.75/1.5/2.25/3 seconds.
- Waning Rift cooldown from 20 to 16.
- Illusory Orb cooldown decreased from 15 to 13
- Illusory Orb manacost increased by 25, Ethereal Jaunt manacost (25) removed
- Lowered Puck's attack range from 600 to 550
- Lowered Puck's Intelligence gain per level
- Increased cool down on Waning Rift
- Slightly lowered Puck's movement speed
 See also