Rhasta the Shadow Shaman is a ranged intelligence Hero mostly used as a pusher and disabler, wielding abilities that make pushing lanes more efficient. He is also capable of disabling multiple enemy heroes, allowing him to initiate encounters as well. Though very supportive in nature, until the late game Rhasta is capable of killing lone enemy heroes with the use of his entire skillset; meaning he is more difficult to gank than most other supports. Playing Rhasta well requires good knowledge of target priority and timing; and some minor micromanagement. His peak is mid-game, but he can continue to wreak havoc on enemies all throughout the match.
|Mass Serpent Ward|
 Recommended items
Bracer will make Rhasta more tanky, which is something he needs badly as he is very delicate.
Arcane Boots will help replenish mana; Rhasta tends to cast his spells as a combo so his mana runs out very quickly.
Blink Dagger will help him position and escape.
Refresher Orb allows for two instances of Serpent Wards, which is hugely useful for siege damage and encounters.
Bloodstone alleviates his huge mana expenditure.
Shiva's makes him much more difficult to kill and prevents enemy escapes.
Necronomicon combined with his disables greatly augments his killing power.
Though unmentioned, Medallion of Courage is a very useful item, as his Serpent Wards deal physical damage.
- Euls Scepter of Divinity is a commonly built item, used in conjunction with Mass Serpent Wards. Catching an enemy hero in a cyclone gives you ample time to place the Serpent Wards around the hero, trapping it. You can then further disable the hero by using Shackles.
- Shackles is a channeling spell. Enemy units and heroes can interrupt Rhasta with stuns and disables, when he is holding enemy down. It's better to use it when your target is alone.
- Always cancel the backswing animation after casting your spells, as Rhasta's animations are quite lengthy.
- Necronomicon is an ideal choice to attack your enemy while you're shackling it. Together with your Serpent Wards and the Necronomicon's Summons, the kill is almost guaranteed.
- Rhasta's spells have a very high mana cost. Build up your mana pool and mana regeneration with items or you may find yourself unable to cast anything in critical situations.
- A useful trick when going one-on-one with an opponent is to summon your Mass Serpent Ward near or behind the enemy and then hold them in place with your Shackles spell. If mana will allow, using Hex will give you a few seconds to set this up uninterrupted.
- Rhasta's Serpent Wards can be commanded. Beginners often neglect to control them, but even if Rhasta is dead he can have a big impact on a fight with intelligent use of his wards.
- The name Rhasta is based on the Rastafarians, a follower of a religious movement in Jamaica known as Rastafari. In DotA, his hero model and dialogue had a strong Jamaican influence and style. But in Dota 2, his theme and style has undertaken a more Middle-Eastern influence, mostly evident in his attire and accent.
- Rhasta is also a Persian name and word that means "truth."
 Update history
- Fixed Shackles doing a little less damage than intended.
- Updated Shadow Shaman's attack sound.
- Updated Ether Shock's visual effects and sound.
- Fixed Mass Serpent Wards having no cast point.
- [Undocumented] Added Teleport animations for Beastmaster, Bounty Hunter, Broodmother, Clinkz, Lifestealer, Necrolyte and Shadow Shaman.
- [Undocumented] Added Spawn animations for Beastmaster, Bounty Hunter, Necrolyte and Shadow Shaman.
- Fixed Ether Shock ignoring Linken's Sphere.
- Fixed Corrosive Skin affecting Serpent Wards.
- [Undocumented] Added a haste rune run animation for Shadow Shaman.
- Fixed Serpent Wards having instant attack point (instead of 0.3).
- [Undocumented] Added idle injured animations for Shadow Shaman.
- [Undocumented] Added injured animations for Shadow Shaman.
- [Undocumented] Added chase animations for Shadow Shaman.
- Fixed Ethershock hitting units in the FoW.
- Fixed Ether Shock hitting invisible units.
- Fixed Voodoo not being blocked by Linken's Sphere.
- Veno wards and Shadow shaman wards all use the smaller hull size. This should prevent them from blocking narrow paths.
- Added lifetime indictator for Rhasta's Wards.
- Fixed Lion's Mana Drain and Shadow Shaman's Shackles to properly handle getting purged.
- Fixed Shadow Shaman's wards and Venomancer's Wards not being able to attack Roshan.
- Fixed Shadow Shaman's wards not drawing.
- New Serpent Ward model
- Fixed cast point issues with Shadow Shaman, Lion and Tinker.
- Fixed Lifesteal from leeching off of wards (like rhasta's wards).
- Fixed more bugs with Ether Shock search area.
- Added Shadow Shaman VO.
- Fixed Ether Shock search distance.
- Added tooltip durations to Shadow Shaman's abilities.
 Balance changelog
- Aghanim's Mass Serpent Wards damage increased from 53-59/74-79/94-100 to 85-90/105-110/125-130. Basic version damage numbers also normalized a bit from 39-43/54-58/69-73 to 40-45/55-60/70-75.
- Base damage increased by 5.
- Ether Shock target count rescaled from 3/4/6/7 to 1/3/5/7.
- Ether Shock damage rescaled from 80/160/240/320 to 140/200/260/320.
- Ether Shock cooldown from 10 to 8.
 See also