Barathrum the Spirit Breaker is a powerful ganker type melee strength Hero that concentrates on taking out single targets, while lacking in larger team fights. His Charge of Darkness lets him charge towards any target available, while knocking off all enemies in his path. If you see the charge coming, it may already be too late. He is picked mostly for his high damage given by his Greater Bash which crushes the life out of his hapless victims. Barathrum can instantly and quickly move to his enemy via Nether Strike and shock them with a soul-bashing blow.
Spirit Breaker plays like most assassin Heroes, with the exception of having an absence of invisibility and high durability: he singles out a target and deals as much damage as possible while trying not to get killed himself. Charge of Darkness is the go-to gank initiator. It grants vision of the target, and causes him to move very fast towards them, then stuns and deals damage while also disabling enemies that get in his way. Although issuing a move or attack command while charging will cancel it, some items can be activated while charging (such as Black King Bar), thereby adding to Barathrum's power. If Barathrum is disabled while charging, it is also cancelled, meaning he needs to pay attention and avoid being stunned. As of the latest update, players no longer see a debuff when being charged, making him more of a surprise. Charge of Darkness can also be used to grant vision of the target. If Barathrum charges an invisible enemy, they will still be stunned and will give shared vision, but will not be revealed. Once hit, he can follow up with his ultimate, Nether Strike, another disable that deals high damage and teleports Spirit Breaker in front of his target after a short time. The target will be stunned, and though Spirit Breaker can be killed, he is magic immune during the fade time of his teleport. His aura, Empowering Haste increases his movement speed dramatically. Greater Bash has a universal 17% chance to stun the target, while also dealing damage based on Spirit Breaker's movement speed. This means any items that increase movement speed and attack speed, such as Mask of Madness or Drum of Endurance synergize perfectly with this ability. With a bit of luck, he can cause considerable damage in a short period of time without using either of his active abilities. Spirit Breaker is most effective during the mid-game, between levels 7-15.
 Recommended items
|This article or section may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Dota 2 Wiki's quality standards.
You can help. The discussion page may contain suggestions.
Reason given: Please refer to the style guide.
- Black King Bar can be used without interrupting your charge, activate it just when you get close to the enemy to take advantage of it's duration during the fight.
- Use Charge of Darkness to get close, stun your target, and make him vulnerable to your attacks.
- Nether Strike deals major damage to the target enemy and teleports behind them, wherever they go. You can use this to catch blinking or teleporting enemies before they get away.
- Greater Bash deals more damage depending on Barathrum's movement speed. Getting items that increase movement speed, such as Sange & Yasha and Drum of Endurance, will greatly improve your damage.
- Chaining together Charge of Darkness with Nether Strike can deal high amounts of burst damage in a very short amount of time.
- Spirit Breaker has very little teamfight presence due to his specialized skills, but he can still be useful at neutralizing targets and forcing enemies back.
- Charge of Darkness allows Spirit Breaker to run through units, trees, structures and terrain. In a recent change, Charge of Darkness no longer indicates your enemies when activated, letting you setup ganks.
- When charging enemy heroes in mid game, be 100% sure that they are alone. A lone enemy may wait out in the open while their ally hides in the trees, waiting for you to charge the bait hero, and finally be ganked. Therefore, Observer Wards can greatly reduce uncertainty before charging.
- Although Charge of Darkness is typically used to get into fights, it can also be used to get back out in a pinch; by targeting a creep in a different lane Spirit Breaker can move quickly to avoid death, then cancel the charge when he is out of danger.
- Sange and Yasha is a fair pick on Spirit Breaker, as the bonus movespeed improves the damage of his Greater Bash as well as his general speed, improving his chasing ability even further in conjunction with it's maim.
- Barathrum's fun/alternate name is Roadrunner.
- "Barathrum" means "underworld" in Latin.
- He has the highest base strength in the game (29).
- His response "Rampage" might be a reference to his equivalent in Heroes of Newerth
 Update history
- Fixed Magic Immune units being ignored by the AOE greater bash procs from Charge of Darkness and Aghanim's Scepter Nether Strike.
- Fixed some ability Backswing timing issues ( Kunkka, Clockwerk, Timbersaw, Meepo, Pudge, Spirit Breaker, Sand King, Riki, Nyx Assassin, Lion, Pugna, Shadow Demon, Batrider).
- Fixed case where he could interrupt his Charge by previously having given an attack order to his target.
- Added teleport start and end animations for Sniper, Spirit Breaker and Weaver.
- Added Idle Injured animations to Spirit Breaker.
- Fixed Greater Bash affecting Magic Immune units when procced via other abilities.
- Fixed a bug allowing charging Razor without moving.
- Empowering Haste visual no longer shows up on creeps.
- Fixed Charge of Darkness immediately failing when cast on Razor's Unstable Current.
- Fixed Charge of Darkness not getting interrupted by ensnares.
- Fixed turn rates for the following heroes: Lifestealer, Alchemist, Clockwerk, Bounty Hunter, Dark Seer, Dazzle, Ancient Apparition, Brewmaster, Chen, Silencer, Lone Druid, Spectre and Spiritbreaker.
- Fixed base HP regeneration (0.25->0.75).
- Fixed base Intelligence.
- [Undocumented] Added injured run animations for Spirit Breaker.
- Fixed case where he could get stuck when using Nether Strike.
- Fixed being unable to target magic immune units with Netherstrike.
- Fixed Netherstrike vs cycloned units.
- Fixed Basher stacking with Spiritbreaker/Slardar/Faceless Void's bashes.
- Changed Empowering Haste passive legacy key to G to avoid stomping H (halt).
- Charge of Darkness and Wrath of Nature no longer alert the target to attack the caster if the target is far away.
- Enabled Silencer and Spirit Breaker in Captain's Mode.
- Fixed Charge of Darkness picking units that are invisible or in the fow when it tries to find a new target.
- Fixed Charge of Darkness ignoring Hex.
- Fixed Greater Bash working with illusions
- Fixed Greater Bash bonus damage working on Towers, Wards and Denies
- Fixed Charge of Darkness and Greater Bash going through Magic Immunity
 Balance changelog
- Base strength increased by 6.
- Damage increased by 9.
- Charge of Darkness
- No longer gives a buff indicator.
- Speed increased from 425/500/575/650 to 600/650/700/750.
- Empowering Haste
- No longer increases Spirit Breaker's damage.
- Movement bonus aura rescaled from 6/8/10/12% to 6/10/14/18%.
- Greater Bash
- Now deals damage based on your movement speed (10/20/30/40% of speed).
- Duration increased from 0.95/1.15/1.35/1.55 to 1/1.2/1.4/1.6.
- Now affects magic immune units.
- Charge of Darkness
- Cooldown decreased from 40 to 35
- AoE knockback increased from 250 to 300
- Nether Strike damage increased from 100/200/300 to 150/250/350
- Strength growth decreased from 2.8 to 2.4
- Movement speed decreased from 295 to 290
- Charge of Darkness stun duration decreased from 1.4/1.8/2.2/2.6 to 1.2/1.6/2.0/2.4 seconds
- Nether Strike now hits a Greater Bash based on it's current level and not automatically level 4.
- Charge of Darkness indicator AoE increased from 2500 to 3000
- Base HP regeneration increased from 0.25 to 0.75
- Greater Bash now gives a 3 second 15% movement speed bonus whenever you land a bash
- Charge of Darkness reworked. Before, allowed Spirit Breaker to target any enemy unit to charge upto 4 seconds, gaining more speed depending on how long of a charge it was. Speed gain upto 60%, would stun 1.4/1.8/2.2/2.6 seconds on impact. Would gain vision and truesight of targeted unit during the charge's duration, would become magic immunne during the charge if fulled charged up, and would have the speed boost for 2 seconds after impact. Target would see a debuff icon when Spirit Breaker was in 2500 range of the target, and the charge would stop if the target dies, is decrepified, or cycloned. Cost 75 mana, had 40 second cooldown. Now, Charge of Darkness requires no charging, makes Spirit Breaker move at a flat speed of 425/500/575/650, stun the target on impact for 1.4/1.8/2.2/2.6 seconds. During the charge, any secondary unit in a 250 AoE of Spirit Breaker will get bashed equal to its current level. While charging, Sprit Breaker gain vision of the unit, If the target dies, will change to anther target, and will stop if stunned. Target gains a debuff icon in a 2500 range.
- Strength gain increased from 2.5 to 2.8
 See also