|This article or section may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Dota 2 Wiki's quality standards.
You can help. The discussion page may contain suggestions.
Reason given: Please refer to the style guide.
Boush the Tinker is a ranged intelligence Hero who relies heavily on his assortment of nukes for ganking and pushing. He is able to reset the cooldown on his abilities, and in conjunction with Boots of Travel gives Tinker global mobility rivaled only by Nature's Prophet, making him a constant threat. His abilities' mana costs are very high, so his ultimate, Rearm, and Boots of Travel serve a long way towards going back to the base fountain to restore his mana. Tinker needs to farm his Boots of Travel as soon as possible for his full ganking and pushing potential to be unlocked. If he farms it too late, he will be unable to keep up with the pace of the game. Therefore it is recommended for Tinker to solo mid.
 Recommended items
- Laser is an extremely powerful nuke that ignores magic resistance. Use it as primary source of damage for the Tinker.
- If there is only one opponent on your lane, you should max out laser first, as it deals high damage per mana cost compared to heat seeking missle. The blind effect should never be underestimated as it acts as a pseudo-disable on hero physical attacks.
- Heat Seeking Missile has a really long range. With rearm, you can spam a barrage of heat seeking missiles as to harass enemy heroes.
- March of the Machines is a perfect farming tool. It's a bit tricky to aim though. You can overlap several March of the Machines using Rearm to deal massive area of effect damage.
- The Tinker is arguably the best solo mid hero. He can constantly harass his lane opponent with Laser and Heat Seeking Missile forcing him to stay away from creeps. And if he gets pressured by roaming heroes he can always farm safely using his March of the Machines from afar.
- If you do solo mid as the Tinker, a bottle is a wholly worthwhile item. Not only will bottling runes benefit you in your ganks, but once you do get your Boots of Travel, you will be back at the Fountain more often than most, making bottle refilling easy even if you can't find a rune.
- You can stack commands by holding shift to prevent unintentional Rearm interruptions. The Tinker will perform stacked commands right after finishing Rearm.
- Boots of Travel is a commonly built item on Tinker. Used in conjunction with Rearm, it allows you to teleport around the map quickly.
- Once the Tinker gets Boots of Travel and Soul Ring, start teleporting back and forth between lanes and fountain to farm everything on the map.
- Participate in ganks whenever you get a chance. "Missile, Laser, Rearm, Missile combo" should be enough to finish off any fleeing enemy early-mid game.
- Always kill enemy silencers and disablers first because they can ruin your spell combos.
- The Tinker can permanently disable and kill enemy carries in the late game phase. Simply repeat "Scythe of Vyse, Missile, Laser, Rearm" cycle till your target is dead. Make sure you have sufficient mana pool and you're performing everything quick enough.
- A Force Staff is another useful item for the Tinker. It's cheap, provides Intelligence, and has an active ability that, in conjunction with Rearm, can get you out of sticky situations in a heartbeat. A Blink Dagger can be used for a similar purpose, but because it does not provide additional stats, it is usually preferable to buy the Staff instead.
- Another popular item to get as the Tinker is the Dagon as it works well with Rearm to deal massive burst damage provided a sufficient mana pool is present. The combo of Dagon > Rearm > Dagon is deadly when paired with Heat Seeking Missile and Laser.
- Be careful when you use your spell combos as the Tinker is extremely mana-hungry. A few lasers and you will quickly find yourself without mana if you're saving up for Boots of Travel or Scythe of Vyse.
- When facing auto attack-heavy heroes such as Lone Druid and Ursa, it may be wise to build Heaven's Halberd. In conjunction with laser, you effectively can disable auto attackers up to 6 seconds for melee heroes and 7 seconds for ranged heroes. Adding Scythe of Vyse up on this brings a disable of 9.5-10.5 seconds. Using Rearm properly allows you to completely shut down certain heroes.
- Orchid Malevolence in conjunction with Rearm allows you to permanently silence casters. Use this on caster heavy teams.
- When the Tinker acquires Boots of Travel and has enough mana to rearm and withdraw, he is able to confuse opponents because his pushing ability forces the opponent to defend their towers and he's just able to "Lane-Fountain-Lane", again and again.
- The Tinker's voice actor, Harry "Hal" Robins, also voiced Dr. Isaac Kleiner in Half-Life 2. Many of Tinker's voice lines reference characters and events from the Half-Life universe. In addition, the name "Violet Plateau" is quite similar to "Black Mesa," and the events described in Tinker's backstory are remarkably similar to the events of Half-Life.
- The Tinker's alternate/fun name in DotA was "X!!", name of a professional DotA player.
- Tinker's line "I tink! Therefore I am!" is a reference to the philosophical statement "I think, therefore I am." proposed by René Descartes. Its original Latin words are "Cogito ergo sum."
- Tinker's line "Tinker, failure…Soldier…Fie…" is a reference to the 1974 spy novel Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by British author John le Carré about George Smiley (who was played by Gary Oldman in the 2011 film adaptation).
 Update history
- [Undocumented] Added spawn animations for Earthshaker, Night Stalker, Shadow Demon, Tidehunter, Tinker.
- [Undocumented] Added teleport start and end animations for Earthshaker, Pudge, Night Stalker, Shadow Demon, Tidehunter, Tinker.
- Fixed March of the Machines spawn per second from 30 to 24.
- Fixed March of the Machines movement speed from 500 to 400.
- Fixed Heat Seeking Missle hitting Spirit Bear and Warlock's Golem.
- Fixed March of the Machines killing couriers.
- Fixed Rearm refreshing level 2 and 3 of Necronomicon.
- Tinker Rockets now visually show duds when no enemy units are available.
- Fixed being able to refresh allied items with Tinker's ultimate.
- Fixed Necronomicon not killing its previous units when used again (from Refresher, Tinker's Rearm, etc).
- Tinker got over his shy phase and now speaks.
- Rearm no longer refreshes the cooldown of Linken's Sphere.
- Fixed incorrect armor values
- Returning Hero: Tinker [Rough Model]
- Fixed Tinker's March of the Machines to properly hit magic immune units.
- Fixed cast point issues with Shadow Shaman, Lion and Tinker.
- Enabled Tinker.
 Balance changelog
- March of the Machines duration increased from 5 to 6 seconds.
- Laser's miss duration increased from 2 to 3 seconds.
- Heat Seeking Missile now hits 2 units at all levels.
 See also