Demnok Lannik the Warlock is a ranged intelligence hero and a good support. His Shadow Word ability makes for an excellent heal as well as a decent harassment tool, and his physical attack helps him to ward off any enemies and keep his friends safe. He also possesses a considerable presence in team fights, as most of his abilities cover up a rather large area of effect.
 Golem abilities
 Recommended items
- Consider going solo lane if your team wants to try an early push strategy. Warlock's attack range, projectile speed, and damage allows him to farm nicely against other solo heroes.
- Shadow Word can also be used as a harassing tool. Cast it on your opponent and keep hitting him whenever it's possible. Make sure you don't get hit by creeps too much while doing so.
- Fatal Bonds is an immensely useful spell which amplifies your team's damage output. Bond 5 enemies together, and if they are all hit by a single area of effect spell or attack, the total damage will be almost doubled, since everyone of them will suffer 5x20% extra damage echoed from others.
- You can use Upheaval to prevent wounded enemies from escaping. This is especially useful if used right after an area-of-effect spell, such as your Chaotic Offering. Let your golem or your teammates finish the job.
- If an ally is being chased, use your Upheaval to slow his chasers. Since the slow will last for some seconds after you stop channeling, you will also have time to fall back.
- When initiating, make sure to cast Fatal Bonds first, then Chaotic Offering; this way, you can output more damage against all your targets.
- Your golem is tanky; when possible, use it to tank creeps or towers, so that you can dispose of them sooner.
- You can heal the golem with your Shadow Word to increase its tankiness.
- When chasing fleeing heroes with your golem, don't stop to auto-attack them, since it will slow the golem down. Instead, keep it moving with the heroes, so that the Permanent Immolation can do its damage.
- Although both Refresher Orb and Aghanim's Scepter allow you to summon two golems, Refresher Orb allows you to summon two full strength golems and utilize two seconds of AoE stun, but will cost a lot of mana to pull off, while Aghanim's Scepter is easier and cheaper to build and gives nice stats.
- Do not let the golem die needlessly to your enemy heroes, since its gold bounty is quite high. If it's the last remaining unit for your team in a fight, have it flee unless you can ensure a kill. Having it die against creeps or towers is better than allowing an enemy hero to claim the gold bounty of your golem. Having two golems from Aghanim's Scepter will cut the bounty of each golem in half.
- Fatal Bonds and Venomancer's Poison Nova make for a deadly combination, as although Poison Nova cannot kill on its own, Fatal Bonds will cause anyone bound and affected by the poison to die from the damage ticking off.
- It also seems that Fatal Bonds and Bristleback's Viscous Nasal Goo compliment each other well. The armor reduction of the Viscous Nasal Goo on a hero means that any damage inflicted to bound creeps etc. will be applied to the snotted individual at the reduced armor value. Adding another attacking hero with area of effect damage such as Zeus' Arc Lightning, or items that function similarly like Mjollnir and Battlefury can quickly put a lot of damage on the armor reduced hero.
- Remember your role: as a support Hero, you should be leaving as much experience and gold as possible to the carry. While items like Aghanim's Scepter and Refresher Orb may seem so powerful, it's advised not to buy them too early, or not to buy them at all: concentrate on buying Wards, Dust and utility items like Mekansm, Force Staff, Necronomicon, Drum of Endurance or Eul's Scepter of Divinity first. Even Wards and Mekansm alone will certainly be more useful than a Warlock who stole kills from the carry, leaving him underfarmed and underleveled. Only acquire kills if the carry is unable to do so.
- In DotA, Warlock's ultimate is named Rain of Chaos and the summoned unit was called an Infernal, a hulking golem with green-colored flames. Both names were changed in the transition to Dota 2 to avoid copyright conflict.
- Warlock is related to Disruptor and Axe, as he comes from the Oglodi tribe.
 Update history
- Fixed Flaming Fists hitting ethereal units.
- Fixed Flaming Fists damage not leveling properly, damaging magic immune units, and having incorrect chance to proc.
- Fixed Warlock missing his pants.
- Fixed Glimpse affecting Warlock's Golem and Spirit Bear.
- Fixed Curse of the Silent affecting Warlock's Golem and Spirit Bear.
- Fixed the burn aura from Warlock's Golems so it stacks correctly.
- Updated Aghanim's Scepter tooltips for Beastmaster, Necrolyte, Queen of Pain, Warlock, and Windrunner.
- Fixed the following spells being castable on magic immune allies: Nightmare, Frost Armor, Nature's Guise, Holy Persuasion, Decrepify, Astral Imprisonment, Shadow Word and X Marks The Spot.
- Added overhead healing messages for Warlock and Bloodseeker.
- Fixed Warlock Golem being able to buy and use items.
- Fixed arcane orb doing bonus damage to Warlock illusions.
- Fixed Golem's Flaming Fists doing half damage in a bigger aoe.
- Fixed Golems having incorrect magic resistance.
- Fixed Golem being considered a creep for some spells like Paralyzing Casks.
- Fixed Fatal Bonds hitting invis or fogged units.
- Warlock has a new alternate attack animation.
- Fixed Golem's Immolation not doing any damage.
- Fixed the following ability interactions with Repel/Purge: Inner Vitality, Weave, Moonlight Shadow, Overload, Holy Persuasion, Warcry, Shadow Word, Focus Fire, Sukuchi, Berserker's Call, Chilling Touch.
- Fixed Rain of Chaos AoE stun not lasting longer with Scepter.
- Fixed Rain of Chaos not destroying trees
- Fixed Rain of Chaos not doing any impact damage.
- Fixed Fatal Bonds disabling Blink Dagger/Regen.
- Fixed Fatal Bonds damage being reduced by resistance.
- Fixed Golem's Immolation working against Ancients.
- Enabled Warlock for Captain's Mode
- Added burned ground to Warlock's Rain of Chaos.
- Increased Warlock's Golem size slightly.
- Added a missing model for Warlock's effects.
- Added Warlock.
- Fixed Golem's Immolation not doing any damage.
- Shadow Word can now be cast on catapults.
- Fixed Fatal Bonds not always adding the primary target.
- Fixed a number of abilities having incorrect interaction with Sphere: Slithereen Crush, Jinada, Wind Walk, Echo Slam, Moon Glaive, Death Pulse, Purification, Scream of Pain, Fatal Bonds.
 Balance changelog
- Shadow Word's cooldown decreased from 20 to 16
- Warlock's Golem attack damage increased from 50/75/100 to 75/100/125.
- Shadow Word damage/heal increased from 10/20/30/40 to 15/25/35/45 per second.
- Shadow Word duration increased from 8 to 9 seconds.
- Golem's Permanent Immolation damage increased from 20/30/40 to 30/40/50 per second.
- Golem's Flaming Fists
- Trigger chance increased from 40% to 60%.
- Damage increased from 75/115/150 to 100/150/200.
- Shadow Word cooldown reduced from 24 to 20.
- Fatal Bonds
- Link count increased from 2/3/4/5 to 3/4/5/6.
- Casting range increased from 600 to 800.
- Upheaval cooldown decreased from 65 to 50.
- Aghanim Golem's HP and damage increased from 50% of original to 75%.
- Fatal Bonds damage increased from 15% to 20%.
 See also